Friday, April 30, 2010

Earth Day Challenge


My friend, Jan Hoefler, of Red Rubber Paper and Ink put out an April challenge in honor of Earth Day. It was to try and make some art using recycled materials. This is the card I created. The background is recycled corrugated cardboard packing and the red butterfly is die cut and embossed from a diet coke can (in fact, from a piece of a coke can left over from another project I did).
The background corrugated cardboard edges were distressed using my new Distrezz-It tool and sections of the top layer were peeled off. (Idea credit goes to Lisa Somerville.) Then I highlighted it with tumbled glass and rusty hinge distress inks. I dabbed some cream colored acrylic paint (left over from another project) over the inks. The butterfly collage stamp is from I Brake For Stamps. I embossed the image so I could use the antiqued glimmers technique from Technique Junkies. I used Adirondack markers to highlight the butterflies. The red butterfly was made by using the Cuttlebug butterfly die and then the embossing folder. Coloring was done with alcohol inks--red pepper and gold. The sentiment is from Artistic Outpost "Bluebird" and was stamped on a scrap of paper. Thanks Jan for the fun challenge!

4 comments:

Max und Maria Hoefler said...

Stunning!!!! Love every bit about this! Thanks for playing and good luck!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

This is a fabulous art piece, so beautifully created!

Lisa Somerville said...

Fab piece! Wonderful collage image, great chabby chic look! The butterfly from the coke can is a great embellishment!

Pat Moore said...

I love this. You'll have to teach me how to do the coke can. I may have a few around. ...Pat